What is the Program on Gender-Based Violence (PGV)?

The PGV represents all the academic programs offered by the University of Colorado Denver’s Center on Domestic Violence. PGV students may earn a Master of Public Administration or a Master of Criminal Justice degree with a concentration in Gender-Based Violence. Two stand-alone graduate certificates are also available, one in Gender-Based Violence Studies and the other in Interpersonal Violence and Health Care. The course curriculum for all of these programs combines online learning with intensive periods of study on the University of Colorado Denver campus.

What is a cohort?

Students are accepted into the Program on Gender-Based Violence (PGV) as a cohort, a group that takes courses in tandem and participates in organized events and activities featuring local practitioners and national experts. Cohort sessions, also known as intensives, explore practical applications to classroom knowledge and build a personal and professional network for students to rely on throughout their degree program and their careers.

What is an intensive?

Students in the PGV learn together during week-long periods of intensive study in Denver. These intensives take place twice each year, once in January and once in August. Guest lecturers, multi-media presentations, and small group exercises are often incorporated during the intensives.

What are the admission requirements?

Admission requirements are different for Master degree-seeking students and those pursuing graduate-level certificates. All students must complete an application on the CU Denver School of Public Affairs website and meet with the Director of the Center on Domestic Violence, Barbara Paradiso, for an entrance interview. Click here for a full list of application requirements.

What are the degree requirements for the Master programs?

The Program on Gender-Based Violence is offered as a concentration within two degree programs offered by the School of Public Affairs: the Masters of Public Administration (MPA) and the Masters of Criminal Justice (MCJ). Please see the School of Public Affair’s website for up to date information on both degree programs.

How long does it take to pursue the programs?

The certificate programs take two years to complete. The length of the Master degree programs will vary depending on the amount of MCJ/MPA core classes you decide to take each semester.

Do I need to live in Denver?

No. However, students must be in Denver twice per year to attend the week-long intensives. Other classes can be taken online to fulfill degree requirements of the MPA or the MCJ.

Can I work full time and enroll in the program?

Yes, although you should allow time in your schedule for attending the intensives twice per year.

How much is tuition?

Tuition rates are announced each year in early June. Tuition rates for the School of Public Affairs can be found here. Please note that the School of Public Affairs participates in the Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP), which provides in-state tuition rates for students from 14 western states. Click here for more information about the WRGP.

Is financial aid available?

Information about financial aid and scholarships are available through CU Denver.

If you are a victim in need of help, these resources are available:


  • If you are a student, faculty or staff on the Auraria Campus, call the Phoenix Center at Auraria. The 24/7 Helpline is (303) 556-2255 and the main number (for appointments) is (303) 556-6011


  • Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-SAFE or 800-787-3224, or visit www.ndvh.org



  • National Sexual Assault Hotline: 800-656-HOPE or visit www.rainn.org